1.24.2014

childhood favorites

Since I'm in-between book reviews right now and haven't written a poem lately (and have already flooded you with borrowed words this week), I thought I'd share a bit of my childhood with you. I know I'm missing some--probably some obvious ones--but here are twelve that come to mind as favorites, in no particular order.


1. Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
My mom read it to me at least once, and I read it on my own multiple times after that. I even went to Chincoteague Island with my family to see the pony swim when I was seven! I actually could have put most of Marguerite Henry's books on this list, especially Brighty of the Grand Canyon, but there were too many others to include.



2. The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul Goble
I don't actually remember anything about this picture book, but I know it was well-loved and that I was devastated when a classmate tore the dust jacket of my copy.




3. The Mud Pony by Caron Lee Cohen
In this picture book, a Native American boy makes a mud pony, and it comes to life. How cool is that?




4. Lily by Abigail Thomas
I read this picture book to my Miniature Schnauzer countless times, and I think she actually enjoyed it. It's about a dog, of course.




5. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
A classic series that was read to me/I read on my own. It's not about horses or any other animals, so I'm not sure how it made it on this list. They have a dog, right?




6. Misty Morgan by Stephen Cosgrove
UNICORN! Um, yeah. Also, it's a Serendipity Book, which to a young mind looks an awful lot like "Serena."




7. The Quilt Story by Tony Johnston
So, I had this baby blanket that I carried around everywhere, until, um, until well after most children stop carrying around baby blankets. This picture book about a girl and her quilt resonated quite a bit.




8. Thoroughbred by Joanna Campbell
I only read the first few books in this series, but it's about horses, so of course I like them.





9. Winnie the Horse Gentler by Dandi Daley Mackall
A Christian horse series. I actually never owned any of them, since I discovered these books in the library.




10. Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson
This one is an easy chapter book written from the perspective of the rabbits and other animals when new folks move into the "big house."




11. Phantom Stallion by Terri Farley
This was a seemingly never-ending series, since I never did reach the end. It's about a girl living on a ranch, and her best (human) friend happens to be a Native American cowboy with a ponytail. My middle school (early high school?) fictional crush.


12. Heartland by Lauren Brooke
This is perhaps my absolute favorite horse series, and about two years ago I discovered that the wonderful Canadians turned it into a TV show.





So, there's my childhood in a nutshell. What were your favorite books growing up? (or are you like me, and still haven't grown up despite what your age might say?)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Serena! I popped over from your comment on Meditations of His Love, and loved this post. :) I also boast Misty of Chincoteague and The Boxcar Children as childhood haunts. Oh, those were such good books. The others I've added to my list that I would like to have available to my kids, too! Thanks for sharing this, it was such a neat idea--and a nice peak into your literary childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by--I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  2. Yay for the Boxcar Children!! I don't think I read Marguerite Henry, but I know my little sister read STACKS of her books! So they're kind of vaguely in the back of my mind. I enjoyed your list too!! :-)

    ReplyDelete