5.16.2015

Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood #2)

by Ann Elisabeth Stengl


from the back cover

Rose Red trusts no one with her secret. She hides in the forest, her face veiled in rags, shunning the company of all save her old father and her nanny goat. Her life is bleak and lonely.

Until she meets a privileged young man sent to spend his summer in the mountains. Headstrong young Leo startles everyone by befriending Rose Red, and together they begin searching for the monster rumored to be stalking these lands.

But the hunt, which began as a game, holds greater risk than either imagines. Soon both are forced to test their trust in each other as a far more terrifying scourge puts their entire land at risk.


my rating





my review
I loved book one, Heartless, but Veiled Rose is super creepy and a little disjointed. I couldn't figure out what exactly was going on until the very end, at which point I realized how brilliant the whole concept was... just not the execution of it.

At first, I really enjoyed reading about young Leo, and I appreciated his perspective later on as well. But the middle of the book got muddled and I didn't really connect with Rose Red, nor did I enjoy her story (which was the super creepy part). I really wanted to like Rose Red --I liked the idea of Rose Red--but I didn't find her nearly as relatable as Leo.

Nonetheless, I look forward to reading book three and continuing the series, as I'm sure (at least, I hope) this was just a little hiccup along the way.



Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment