8.16.2016

trees + dragons = unputdownable {book review}


Dragon Haven (Rain Wilds Chronicles #2)
by Robin Hobb

Fifteen dragons have set off on a dangerous trek up the Rain Wild River, in hopes of rediscovering their lost haven, the ancient city of Kelsingra. Accompanying them are a disparate group of rejects from Rain Wild society, including strong and defiant young Thymara; wealthy dragon scholar and Trader's wife Alise; and her companion, the urbane Sedric. These human keepers yearn also to create a new home where they can decide their own fate. But is Kelsingra real or merely a fragment of a glorified past buried deep in the dragons' shared memories? (from the back cover)




In a word (or three): unputdownable. Earthy. Realistic. Robin Hobb is very good at writing about the nitty-gritty details of the messiness that is life in what could otherwise be portrayed as a fantastical adventure. There is no flowery language (except in flattering the dragons, of course) or romanticizing the situation or glossing over the uncomfortable bits.

I love it.

No one has ridiculous abilities (i.e. epic survival skills even though they've only been hunting a few times . . . ), and the day-to-day realities fill almost everyone's minds. Survival is first priority; completing the mission, second. They're not even sure if what they seek, the fabled Kelsingra, still exists. Maybe it never existed to begin with.

Disagreements and squabbles erupt over all sizes of matters. The humans complain and struggle--if only in their minds--as humans do. And no one, human or dragon, is immune to injury, disease, or death. Did I mention that life is messy?

Speaking of messy, Dragon Haven takes place in a rainforest (the Rain Wilds), which is awesome. Lots of BIG trees. But also very, very wet--think marshy, boggy, parasite-infested, acidic . . . ew.

I really enjoyed watching the dragons grow and mature and interact with each other and their keepers. We even get a fascinating glimpse into their minds via Sintara's unique perspective as one of several POV characters. Her keeper, Thymara, is a beautifully independent young woman, simultaneously wanting to be alone and struggling to fit in. She also has a wonderful sense of personal morals and a strong will to stick to them--something that she shares with Alise, the expedition's "dragon expert."

Sedric, who joined the group with Alise and fills the role of aloof city-slicker, also has a fascinating perspective. Though outwardly quite shallow, he has a complicated past and an even more tangled present. I loved watching his character develop.

I could go on and on about the characters, but for brevity's sake (and remaining spoiler-free), I'll end with Rapskal. The keeper of Heeby, he is simultaneously annoying and endearing. Innocent. Loyal. I wanted him to drop off the face of the earth in book one, but I grew to like him in this novel.

Dragon Haven does contain some mature content. There are a lot of romantic subplots--almost too many--and few people on this journey are very subtle or terribly shy when it comes to romantic relationships, nor do they have much self-control. Although several scenes fade out, others continue into the bedroom. Nothing steamy, but possibly more than you really want to read.

The final 20-ish pages feel rushed, and the ending a bit too neatly wrapped up. However, Robin Hobb does leave plenty of questions for future books.

If you haven't read Dragon Keeper, book one in The Rain Wilds Chronicles, check out my review here!


4/5 leaves




11 comments:

  1. GAHHH DRAGONNNSSSS. <3 I NEED MORE DRAGON BOOKS IN MY LIFE. Therefore this one is going straight to my TBR on Goodreads. :') THIS LOOKS EPIC. "There is no flowery language (except in flattering the dragons, of course) or romanticizing the situation or glossing over the uncomfortable bits." <<< omg bessssst quality in writing a book, in my humble opinion. REALISM ROCKS. And obviously we have to flatter the dragons because they are hopelessly humble. :') mUAHAHA.

    Awesome review, Serena!!
    >><<
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this series is amazing! You should definitely read it. And oh, man, do I agree with you on the realism! If you couldn't tell from my review, it's one of my favorite qualities in a book. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I might have to check out this series! That cover alone is almost enough to convince me XD

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! I love the covers on these books! Honestly, that's why I picked up book one in the first place--a simple cover with a dragon in the center.

      Delete
  3. The real question is: WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS SERIES YET?!?!? BECAUSE CLEARLY I NEED TO START EEEEP!! I loooove the sound of the dragons (of course) and also the marshy/jungle setting. 😍 That just speaks to my soul it does omg. *trots off to goodreads to make sure has this added*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, that is a very good question!

      Delete
    2. ME TOO. I feel like I saw her review another book by this author AND an old friend of mine recommended her books. I'm obligated now to get on this series!

      I hope you'll review it soon if you do read it, Cait! Your reviews are spot on :)

      Delete
  4. Can I just say how much I enjoy your reviews? :) They're not too long or complicated and I feel like you give your thoughts so well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback, and I'm so glad you enjoy my reviews!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE IT WHEN BOOKS ARE UN PUT DOWNABLE OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL IT!!!!! I am a librarian and I think I've shelved this before...must check it out!

    -Randy Abby
    WAKEMEUP-BLOG.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's a made-up word, so I guess you really can't spell it wrong... :) And yes, you should definitely check out this series!

      Delete